Buchanan Christian Church
Statement of Faith
- We believe in God the Holy Trinity – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – one God who exists eternally as a communion of three persons [Matthew 3:13-17; Matthew 28:18-20; 1 Corinthians 12:4-6; 2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 Peter 1:1-2].
- We believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible. [Genesis 1-2; Isaiah 45:18; Psalm 104; Jeremiah 10:10-12; Acts 17:22-31]
- We believe in Jesus Christ the Son our Lord, fully God and fully man, who for us and for our salvation took on flesh and was born of the virgin Mary by the Holy Spirit. We believe that Jesus died for us according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that on the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, that he ascended into heaven to sit at the right hand of the Father, and that he will return in glory to judge the living and the dead. [Isaiah 9:1-7; Isaiah 53; John 1:1-18; Matthew 1; Romans 1:2-4; Philippians 2:5-11; Colossians 1:15-20; Hebrews 1:1-4; 1 Corinthians 15:1-11]
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, who together with the Father and Son is worshipped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets and inspired the Scriptures, who indwells and empowers the Church, and who convicts the world. [Genesis 1:1-2; Joel 2:28-32; Acts 2; John 14-16; Romans 8; 1 Corinthians 12-14; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Galatians 5:16-26]
- We believe in the Holy Scriptures as the inspired, trustworthy, and authoritative written word of God. [John 5:37-40; Romans 1:1-2; 2 Timothy 3:14-17; 2 Peter 1:16-21].
- We believe in one, holy, universal church, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, the body of Christ, the bride of Christ, the temple of the Holy Spirit, and the new covenant people of God. [Matthew 16:13-20; Luke 22:14-23; Acts 2; 1 Corinthians 12; Ephesians 2; 1 Peter 2:1-12; Revelation 7:9-12; Revelation 19:6-10]
- We believe that the mission of the church flows from the mission of God to redeem and restore his creation: we are called to make disciples of all nations, baptizing in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and teaching disciples to obey Jesus in all things. [Genesis 12:1-3; Matthew 28:16-20; Mark 16:14-20; Luke 24:36-49; John 20:19-23; Acts 1:1-8; 2 Corinthians 5:11-21]
- We believe in the forgiveness of sins and salvation by God’s grace. We believe that a person enters into salvation and the life of Christian discipleship through faith, repentance, baptism, and confession of the name of Christ. [Mark 1:14-15; Matthew 28:16-20; John 3:16-21; John 14:1-11; Acts 2-3; Romans 3:21-25; Romans 6:1-4; Romans 10:5-13; 1 Peter 3:18-22]
- We believe that humans were created in the image of God and that therefore all human life has great sanctity and is worthy of utmost respect. We believe that all people are sinners separated from God who stand in need of God’s redeeming grace. [Genesis 1:26-28; Exodus 20:13; Psalm 8; John 3:16; Genesis 3; Romans 1:18-3:20]
- We believe in the resurrection of the dead at the return of Jesus and in the fullness of God’s kingdom in the coming new heavens and earth. [Isaiah 65:17-25; Isaiah 66:15-25; Matthew 25; John 5:25-29; 1 Corinthians 15; Revelation 20-22]